Friday, August 20, 2010

News piece(s) on Sierra's accident

See the news story that ran last night on WOI-TV in Iowa on my niece:

http://www.woi-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13016251


Boone Teen Hit by Truck, Walks Away with Minor Injuries

A Boone teen could have lost her life on the first day of school, but instead walked away with just minor injuries, after a truck plowed into her.
17-year old Sierra Owen doesn't remember the impact that sent her flying 30-feet backwards. She had started walking toward the entrance of Boone High School on one cross-walk, and then ended up in the middle of another.
As Sierra lay on the ground, the man who hit her, got out of the truck, and asked the teen if she was alright.

"I remember seeing him,"Owen said. "I didn't know it was him at the time, this guy just came up and I thought, I've never seen you before, and then he just disappeared, and then I was told that he was the driver and I was like, what a jerk."

Then as quickly as they had appeared, the driver and the truck, were gone. Leaving a bruised and battered Sierra behind.

"(I have) a big bump on my head...they think I may have torn a ligament in my knee...some cuts on my back, my back is pretty scrapped up...some road rash, but other than that, nothings broken, which I'm really surprised and thankful for."

Sierra and her family hope that the person responsible will be caught, and are disappointed that he didn't stick around the scene, after plowing into a student on the first day of senior year.

"It's all about taking accountability of your actions," Sierra said. "As my mom has told me, many, many times."


And here is the KCCI story (no interview- just story)

http://www.kcci.com/r/24698706/detail.html



BOONE, Iowa -- Boone police are asking for the public's help to find a black Nissan truck involved in a hit-and-run crash on Thursday.

Officers said the driver, a man in his early 30s, hit 17-year-old Sierra Owen Thursday morning as she was crossing the street to go to school.

Owen's mother told KCCI the driver stopped and asked if she was OK and then told another student to call 911 before driving off.

Owen has several bumps and bruises and a possible knee injury.

The driver is described as having dark hair and a goatee.

No comments: